Now accepting Hall of Fame nominations! See news section for more details.

I Accept

United Kennel Club (UKC) is an international dog registry celebrating bonds, rewarding ability, and preserving the value of a pedigree. We use cookies to capture information such as IP addresses and tailor the website to our clients' needs. We also use this information to target and measure promotional material. Please see our Privacy Policy for more information.

Skip to main content
Facebook Instagram YouTube

Result: Hobart Ames Memorial Field Trial Club

Location: Grand Junction, Tennessee

Post Date: Mar 13, 2024

Submitted By: Jim Atchison

Hobart OAAS2024

Hobart Ames Memorial Open All-Age Winner (front): Bridget Ledington with Touch's Fire Away. (Back, l-r): Ryan Braddock, Greg Bain (judge), Joe Hughes (judge), Matt Backus, Randy Anderson, Ike Todd, Pat Bryan, Charlie Frank Bryan, Dr. Fred Corder, Chris Weatherly, Kaden Braddock, and Dr. Rick Carlisle.

The 71st renewal of the Hobart Ames Memorial Classic was sponsored by the Ames Amateur Field Trial Association and run on the National Championship courses of Ames Plantation January 8-11. The Classic drew 31 all-age entries and 10 derbies.

First place in the all-age competition was won by Whippoorwill Vette, owned by Dale Bush from College Station, Texas, and handled by Larry Huffman from Michigan City, Mississippi. First place in the Open Derby Classic was won by Quail Woods Pine, owned by Dr. Greg Adams from Norfolk, Virginia, and handled by Randy Anderson from Vinita, Oklahoma. The second-place winner of the Open All-Age was Touch's Fire Away (the sire of the first-place winner of the Derby stake,) also owned by Dr. Greg and Carmen Adams and handled by Randy Anderson. Haney's Hurricane Seeker, owned and handled by David Russell from Como, Mississippi, won third. The second-place Derby winner was Game Nation, owned by Dr. Fred Corder from Corinth, Mississippi, and handled by Ike Todd from Dancyville, Tennessee. Ike Todd also handled the third-place Derby winner, Erin's Firehouse Waitress, owned by Gordon Jones from Draper, Utah.

Judges for both the all-age and derby competitions were Greg Bain from Pound Creek, Alabama, and Joe Hughes from Moulton, Alabama. Both judges, successful field trailers who have run dogs on Ames Plantation many times, handled their judicial assignments professionally and attentively, with their placements well received and their services much appreciated.

The weather was generally normal for January in western Tennessee. Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday started with the ground slightly frozen and the day becoming pleasant. Tuesday was a violently windy day with early periods of light mist, but which ended with thunder and lightning that coincided with the end of the second afternoon brace and shut down the running until Wednesday. The wind on Tuesday gusted in the 35-mile-per-hour range part of that day but did not reach the 50 to 60 mph predicted in some of the earlier weather forecasts.

The organizational meeting and drawing were held in the Plantation Office at 7 p.m. on Saturday, January 6, with Matt Backus, the Assistant Center Director of Ames, very smoothly conducting his first drawing. Assisting were Pat Bryan, spinning the squirrel cage, and Kay Carlisle recording. Others attending were Dr. Rick Carlisle, Secretary-Treasurer of the host club; Charlie Frank Bryan; Ryan Braddock, one of the field marshals; and Jim Atchison, reporter.

Appreciation and thanks were expressed repeatedly to the Trustees of the Ames Foundation for permitting the running of the Classic on the National Championship Courses, to Purina for their long-time and continuing sponsorship, and to Mid-South Farmers Co-op (a new and much-appreciated sponsor.) The Foundation Trustees are Mr. Oliver A. Spaulding, Mr. Robert H. Frey, and Ms. Augusta K. Haydock. The Nestl Purina company is represented by Area Manager Mr. Greg Blair. Mr. Maylon Price is the local manager of the Somerville Farmers Co-op facility.

Others who were recognized and thanked were the Bank of Fayette County, the family of the late Dr. Frank McKnight, the host club for sponsoring the Wayne Tate Memorial Dinner on Tuesday evening, and the First Baptist Church of Somerville for providing sausage/biscuits for the gallery at the end of the first brace each morning.

In addition to the judges, those who rode every brace and worked diligently through the stakes were marshals Dr. Carlisle, Matt Backus, Ryan Braddock, and Chris Weatherly; Braddock, Weatherly, and other Plantation staff who cared for horses, Joe Thompson, who managed the dog wagon and road security, Aubrey Green who helped with security and represented First Baptist of Somerville providing the breakfast treats, and Vera Courtney who provided hundreds of photographs throughout the four days.

Dr. and Mrs. Carlisle, who have provided over four decades of leadership and hospitality on Ames Plantation, made sure the judges and reporter and his wife were well fed and entertained throughout their time on Ames, with the crowning event being a gourmet dinner prepared by Mrs. Kay Carlisle and served in their home on Wednesday night. Also, Mrs. Kay prepared wonderful lunches each day that were served at the Rhea Reception Center and provided by the host club. Ashley Bateman staffed the kitchen during each of those lunch gatherings.


Open All-Age Classic
Whippoorwill Vette produced an outstanding performance that earned first place as he produced game four times in brace 5, which was run over the second hour afternoon course. He first had birds in a feed plot at 22, followed by additional finds at 35, 40, and 53. He exhibited excellent style each time he stood for the flush and shot and possessed the same style as he ran smoothly throughout the hour and appeared to always be where he needed to be. Also notably impressive was that he performed all of the above pretty much on his own. Larry Huffman, in typical "Larry Huffman style," rode in front of the judges and trusted Whippoorwill Vette to do the task for which he was trained, with minimal instruction and also minimal scouting.

Touch's Fire Away won second place, with three finds, under the whistle of Randy Anderson. Although drawn to compete in the second brace, the placement was achieved primarily on the first hour morning course. The situation was that one dog in the first brace was picked up for an error, and the other dog failed to make the 90-degree turn that was necessary early in the first brace, thus never crossing the Buford Ellington Road. So, the second hour of the contest was run mostly on the first hour course. Fire Away had his first find at 6 near the south end of the Morgan field, followed by his second find at 35 and third find at 38. He then finished the hour by hunting a significant amount of time circling the Mary Scott loop. He ran a strong and stylish race for Anderson and did not require excessive handling or scouting.

Haney's Hurricane Seeker ran a good race for his amateur owner and produced two finds with one unproductive stand during his seventh brace effort. He had a find at 7 before crossing the Buford Ellington Road early Tuesday morning and the second find at 11 on the west side of the Morgan field. The unproductive came at 22 while moving toward the first Turner Road crossing. Hurricane Seeker, now 3 years old, was an outstanding derby and promises to continue his winning ways as an all-age contender.

Other All-Age Entries
Bonner's Hot Rize was the top dog in the first brace. His owner, Jannie Chapman, was in the gallery while Korry Rinehart handled. Como Rain, owned by Doug Arthur, Billy Blackwell, and Rachel and David Russell, was the second dog and was handled by David Russell. Hot Rize pointed at 2, and Rinehart flushed. Como Rain made an error and was put into his harness. But later, Hot Rize failed to negotiate the 90-degree turn toward Ellington Road and was out of contention.

Southern Nation, owned by John and Susan Ivester and handled by Lefty Henry, was paired with the second-place winner in the second brace. He found no birds and was picked up before the end of the hour.

Southern Thunder, owned by Chris Campbell and handled by Tom Shenker, was paired in the third brace with Miller's Speed Dial, owned by Mick Marietta and handled by Randy Anderson. These third brace dogs hunted the second hour course, with Speed Dial having one find, which came at 19 on the west side of the Morgan field, while Southern Nation finished the hour but found no birds.

The fourth brace entries, using the third hour course, were No Strings Attached, owned by Dennis Buford and handled by Randy Anderson, and World Class Instigator, owned by Mick Marietta and handled by Matt Cochran. No Strings Attached was picked up by Anderson at 20 near the National Championship Road, while World Class Instigator finished the hour but had no birds.

Painted Owyhee Toad, owned by Bridget and Jim Ledington and handled by Bridget, was braced with the winner in the fifth brace. He ran well and had finds at 33 and 47. Additionally, he backed his bracemate at 35 and 40 and finished the hour under judgment.

Ascension, owned by Pat, Julie, and Ted Roach and handled by Korry Rinehart, was braced with Touch's Cocaine Blues, owned by Matt Griffith and handled by Randy Anderson. Ascension had an unproductive at 32 as both dogs continued to the last minutes of the hour, at which time a large bolt of nearby lightning and thunder ended the running for the day. Rain followed later during the afternoon and night, but running resumed on schedule the following morning.

On Tuesday morning, I'm Gallant, handled for Randy Anderson for owner Jay McKenzie, was the second dog drawn to compete in the seventh brace and ran with the third-place winner. He finished the hour and backed the unproductive of his bracemate at 22. When time was out, Anderson got his tracker and soon returned to the National Championship Road with I'm Gallant.

Late Hit, owned by Chris Campbell and handled by Tom Shenker, and Haney's Storm Warning, owned and handled by Chris Cagle, were loosed for brace 8. Shenker picked up Late Hit at 24, and Cagle asked for his tracker at the same time, resulting in the next brace starting at Kyle's barn on the National Championship Road.

Randy Anderson had Lester's Stem Winder, owned by Don Hensley, braced with Game Surge, owned and handled by Dr. Fred Corder, in the ninth brace. Anderson asked for his tracker at 15, while Game Surge ran a strong forward race for the entire hour but found no birds.

After lunch, Chris Cagle, the owner and handler of Haney's Silver Dollar, and Randy Anderson handling Bonner's Bulletproof, owned by Dr. Chris Cornman, loosed their contenders. Cagle asked for his tracker at 41 and Anderson elected to pick up, as the wind was gusting violently throughout most of the afternoon.

Superstition's Jake, owned by Ric Peterson and handled by Brody Byrd, and Como Thunder, owned by Doug Arthur, Billy Blackwell, and David and Rachel Russell, went next. Byrd asked for his tracker at 26. Thunder had birds at 29, which David Russell flushed easily. No more birds were found during the brace.

Brace 12, the last of the second afternoon, also ended early. Dr. Corder had Game Heir and Randy Anderson had Slick Water Frac, owned by Raymond Marlow. Game Heir had birds at 11 but became lost, and Dr. Corder asked for his tracker at 37. Slick Water Frac backed Game Heir at 11 but moved a few steps after the flush and was picked up.

Valiant Sunrise, owned by Adam Sprunger and handled by Randy Anderson, and Big N Wild, owned by Phil Witter and handled by Matt Cochran, were loosed on Wednesday morning at 7:45 for brace 13. Big N Wild had an unproductive at 52, but no birds were found by either dog during the brace.

Miller's Wide Out, handled by Randy Anderson for owner Don Stroble, and Nosam's Sweet Water, owned by Jeff Busby and handled by Larry Huffman, went together in brace 14. Wide Out pointed at 14 with Sweet Water backing. After the flush and shot, Huffman realized his dog had an injured pad on a front foot and picked him up. Wide Out continued but became lost, and his handler asked for his tracker at 27.

Brace 15 started at Kyle's barn with Rock Acre Yellow Hawk and Lester's Storm Chaser competing. Yellow Hawk, owned by Ric Peterson and handled by Brody Byrd, found birds at 5 and continued, finding no more game. Storm Chaser, owned by John Ivester and handled by Lefty Henry, hunted throughout the hour but found no birds.

The last dog to compete in the all-age competition was Misty Morn Masked Man, owned and handled by Joey McAlexander, the president of the sponsoring club of these Classics. Masked Man had birds along the side of Ames Road in the first 20 seconds after being released. He then had an unproductive at 32 and was picked up prior to the end of the hour.

Grand Junction, Tenn., January 8
Judges: Greg Bain and Joe Hughes
OPEN ALL-AGE [One-Hour Heats] - 31 Pointers

1st-WHIPPOORWILL VETTE, 1682323, male, by Whippoorwill Justified-S J Kentucky Sue. Dale Bush, owner and handler.
2d-TOUCH'S FIRE AWAY, 1679602, male, by House's Ring of Fire-Touch's Maswood Anne. Dr. Greg & Carmen Adams, owner; Randy Anderson, handler.
3d-HANEY'S HURRICANE SEEKER, 1698759, male, by Ransom-Haney's North Star. David Russell, owner and handler.

Derby Winners
Quail Woods Pine and Game Nation, respectively, the first and second-place winners of the derby competition, were braced together in the first derby brace. As mentioned, Quail Woods Pine is owned by Dr. Greg Adams and handled by Randy Anderson. Game Nation is owned by Dr. Fred Corder and was handled by Ike Todd. Each derby had one find and one unproductive during the brace, which was run mid-afternoon on Wednesday. Game Nation first had an unproductive at 28 almost immediately after coming up into the west end of the Jack Harris field. After the unproductive, he hunted for a couple more minutes, advancing toward the Harris cabin, and pointed again. The birds flew, and everything was in order. At about the same time, Quail Woods Pine was pointed at the east end of the large field, near the Harris cemetery, and Anderson flushed, with all in good order. Both dogs handled well and continued to hunt until Quail Woods Pine then had his unproductive at 44. Both derbies were impressive, holding excellent promise to mature as good all-age competitors.
The third-place winner was Erin's Firehouse Waitress, also handled by Ike Todd for her owner, Gordon Jones from Draper, Utah. Waitress earned her placement in the third brace, which was the first brace ran on Thursday morning. She scored one nice find at 23, where Todd flushed birds in the Turner House field while his nephew and scout, Isaiah Todd, watched.

OPEN DERBY - 10 Pointers
1st-QUAIL WOODS PINE, 1701043, male, by Touch's Fire Away-Wynona's Valiant Rosietta. Dr. Gregory Adams, owner; Randy Anderson, handler.
2d-GAME NATION, 1704928, male, by Lester's Storm Surge-Game Belle. Dr. Fred Corder, owner; Ike Todd, handler.
3d-ERIN'S FIREHOUSE WAITRESS, 1705989, female, by Erin's Redrum-Erin's Little Faye. Gordon Jones, owner; Ike Todd, handler.

Hobart Ames DerbyS2024

Hobart Ames Memorial Derby Stake Winners (front, l-r): Bridget Ledington with Quail Woods Pine, Isaiah Todd with Game Nation, and Ike Todd with Erin's Firehouse Waitress. (Back, l-r): Ryan Braddock, Charlie Frank Bryan, Randy Anderson, Pat Bryan, Matt Backus, Joe Hughes (judge), Chris Weatherly, Greg Bain (judge), and Dr. Rick Carlisle.